Is it a bird? Is it a TRAIN? No, your train's been cancelled. It's Supercuts!

Friday 8 November 2013
Over a week ago, half of the country was battening down the hatches thanks to a storm. HASHTAG UK STORM TWENTY THIRTEEN to be precise. Northerners - who get this weather pretty much every winter (and most summers and in fact all year round) - looked on in bewilderment, while us southerners who are by all admission, quite delicate, huddled under duvets with our teddies praying the roof stayed on and our cars were tree-free.

I happened to be sat in Liverpool Street station all but stranded as Greater Anglia (who some of you may have snorted laughing at my misfortune with them here) suspended all services. So. What's a girl to do when she can't get home after work because her train's running about twelve hours late and there are hundreds and hundreds of people all scrambling for the last inch of space on the one train running that evening? Why, get a hair cut of course!

Liverpool Street's home to Supercuts, a simple hairdresser which focuses on being quick, stylish and cheap. Sounds far too good to be true, I know. Sure, they don't look all fancy with the iridescent light bulbs and exposed brick and penny farthings your more stylish salons would have. But my pixie cut had grown out and was looking a little too mullet for my liking, so I needed to get some style and shape cut back in. It didn't need all the airs and graces of a top salon - just a bit taken off here and a bit feathered over there. Oh, and a wicked cool fringe to combat the inevitable dry forehead skin I'll get now winter's approaching.

Supercuts has a no-appointments-needed policy, so you walk in and walk out whenever you want. Most handy for me, seeing as it was a very spur of the moment decision. It's how I roll with life, so why break the habit of a lifetime?

I walked up to reception and was greeted by two hairdressers who took my coat and booked me in. I had Olivia, a curly haired redhead who's been with Supercuts all over the shop for about ten years.

The place was rammed with customers having blow dries, men having short back and sides and long-haired ladies getting style added to their locks. After I took my seat and got comfy (there are no free glasses of wine here) a crowd of people descended on the reception girls waiting for their turn to get preened and pampered.

I described what I wanted with my hair, some shape and texture and an awesome blunt, full-on fringe. We looked through a few magazines to get an idea of lengths and definite no-nos, and settled on a look. The hair wash is my favourite part of any cut, and was a welcome relaxing break after the stresses of trains and work. I almost fell asleep as Olivia massaged my head, using tea tree oil based shampoo and a soothing conditioner. Train rage? What train rage?

Wash over, it was time to start chopping. They don't use arty-farty cutting techniques and products. Just good ol' scissor and comb. She snipped here, layered there. Olivia explained that they don't do colours, highlights or any treatments that take over half an hour. The salon is quite compact, and judging by how many people walked in and walked out, they focus on classic, trendy cuts in minimal amount of time.

After about 20 minutes, she got out the blowdrier to see how the overall cut was looking. She then snipped away a bit more here, and feathered a bit there. Half an hour later, I was finished! I loved how Olivia had taken a short haircut but had completely managed to create a totally different style. It's definitely 60's style bob, and I think this fringe is the best that I've ever had. It's not too wide, not too thick and not to difficult to manage.

So. For a snippy cut, Supercuts are my new go-to location. The cut cost £20.95, with a wash and blowdry at £15 and treatments from £4. I'm unsure how much it'll cost to get my fringe trimmed here and there, but at least I know I can pop in at lunch. Or the next time I'm stranded at the station.

0 comments :

Post a Comment