My next travel destination: Tunisia

Thursday 9 October 2014


Africa’s never been big in my travel plans ever since I discovered Asia (DJ would agree to this after an evening in Wahaca where I convinced him to give Thailand a try). But I keep reading travel blogs, and I keep thinking perhaps I’m missing a trick here. Perhaps I don’t need to think about ‘travelling’ in Africa. Perhaps I should just think about a holiday. After all, I loved my all-inc break to Egypt a few years back.

Standing on the beach in south west Sicily, my mother’s homeland and the place I spent six weeks every summer as a child (and a teen. And adult if I can get away with it), you can actually see the coast of Tunisia on a clear day. Relaxing on the beach was almost always interrupted by a smiling marrochino or tunisio selling gorgeous rings and bracelets scored from their homelands, or cooling coconuts cut into halves. You couldn’t help offer them a cool drink after watching them pace up and down the scorching sand for hours on end touting their wares.

I would sit on the sand at Ericlea with the pine forest behind me, facing that mysterious and elusive land, wondering just what it was like in Tunisia. What did the people do? What did they eat? Could they see us here in Sicily?

My Sicilian family has made Tunisia their holiday hot spot for over thirty years (5,000 camels my uncle could have got for my aunty) and why not, with a Grandi Navi Veloci – literally meaning big fast ship - from Palermo being £80? After a lifetime looking at Tunisia from across the sea, I think it might be time to pay it a visit.



When to go to Tunisia

Tunisia is perfect as a winter destination resort, with First Choice giving some helpful advice about average monthly temperatures and rainfall. Even in January temperatures rarely fall below a breezy 17C - this time of year is best to visit the sand dunes as it's far too hot any other time. We have Jamaica booked for January, but as a cheeky little week away in November or December we’re thinking of Djerba island, which has absolutely stolen my heart.

Culture

Tunisia is steeped in history, with Queen Dido founding Carthage around 3000 years ago. Through the years (and the wars), Arab, Roman, Sicilian, French, Greek, Jewish and Turkish influences all shaped Tunisia into what it is today - there used to be a huge Jewish, French and Italian community in the country up until the 1950s. The main language is Arabic, but a little French and Italian is spoken. Oh, and did I mention their national did is couscous? Scrummy!

Carthage

These ruins are a massive tourist attraction, and for history buffs (like me) would be a must-see. The Ancient Roman Baths are seen as a great little place to watch history stand still against the backdrop of palm trees, the sea, and Sicily in the distance. Unlike here in the UK, where everything is hands-off, you can explore the vaults and chambers to your heart’s content. For fans of What Once Was, this would be top of the list.

Djerba Island

Around one corner you’ll see an octopus. The next will be a frog. The next, a lion. Street art takes on a new meaning on this pretty little island, with the whitewashed walls and cobbled streets home to traditional religious art and surreal paintings. Even old gas containers and doorways are a canvas. There’s a reptile farm on the island too, as well as Tripadvisor’s 2014 Travellers’ Choice Winner Guellala Museum which gives tourists an insight into the island’s history.

Beaches

Hammamet has a castle by the sea, Sfax is right next to a massive shopping centre, Tunis has the Pedruchillo ecological centre, and Monastir is the most famous beach. Lazing at the beach is great for a few days, but most beaches around Tunisia have plenty of things to do around them, perfect for keeping fidgety travellers like me entertained.

So, for now Tunisia will still be that mysterious country I would stare at while feeling the sea breeze over my sun-kissed skin. Well. Until I book a getaway due to the harsh English winter, that is.

Have you ever been to Tunisia? If so, where did you get to? And what are your must-see places?




0 comments :

Post a Comment