Is borrowing clothes from stores really such a bad idea? #cheapskate

Wednesday 30 October 2013
It’s fair to say money’s tight. For those of us who work, a hefty chunk is taxed, a hefty chunk is spent on bills, rent and phones, and another hefty chunk is probably spent on trains, buses or petrol to, y’know, actually make enough money to spend on rent, bills, phones, trains buses and taxis after your earnings are taxed heftily.

So with wallets being pulled every which way, is it really so bad to buy a dress, wear it, then return it for a refund? Is borrowing really so bad?

I don’t think so. And sure, it may shock you and you might judge me for being a bit of a skinflint, a cheapskate, a tightarse, but hear me out. Because if my late-grandad taught me one thing, it was the value of money. And that year out-of-date Corn Flakes really aren't that bad if you forget you're eating them.

I had a wedding to go to a few years back. It was a wedding of someone who was once really special to me, but through circumstance things changed. Of course, I was going to be invited to the happy day. And of course, I needed to make an impression. After seeing how much was in my account (literal tears began to form in the corner of my eyes) I took my first step into borrowed buying.

I went to a high street store to buy a really special dress, a twenties inspired beaded flapper style dress. It would have cost me £120 – something I’d never spend on a dress that was only going to be worn once or twice EVER – but at least I knew my overdraft could handle it until Monday. I tried it on to ensure I got the right fit, and handed over my debit card mumbling an excuse about not knowing whether I wanted to keep it. The cashier was more than happy to explain I had 28 days to return it. Which suited me just fine.

The day came and went and a jolly time was had by all. Then it was time to face the store and get my non-existent money back. But, not being a monster, I’d had the dress dry cleaned so I knew wherever it went next, whether a bargain rail or to someone else, it wasn’t covered in the night before. So basically, it was a clean, shiny dress almost brand new. The cashier had no quibbles about taking it back and my overdraft was soon back on track.

So my argument is this: I’ve bought clothes before completely knowing I’m in two minds about them. I’ve bought a jumper, worn it and the boy’d turn around and say it was hideous and had to go (I never suited the granny cardi craze). 

So what’s the difference between changing your mind about a garment and returning it a month later? It’s been worn, sat in a bag, not washed and covered in the smells, dust and other detritus houses have. In fact, half the clothes I buy have been tried on by hundreds of people and thrown into the 'no' pile. Whereas my borrowed dress was clean, fresh and even wrinkle-free. It’s not a habit I indulge in often, mainly because I’d only really do it for that special dress, or an interview outfit, or something equally as rare. But I am a borrower, and I will keep on borrowing (unless I become a millionaire, in which case I’d only ever need a bikini because Bora Bora).

So what do you think? Am I being stingy? Should I just pay out and be done with? Are you a borrower too? Let us know below and we’ll reply!

By Laura.

0 comments :

Post a Comment