What's on your winter wishlist?

Friday 4 October 2013
Unpopular though it may be, I'm actually quite glad to see the back of summer.

I enjoyed the sun, the summer clothes and spending my graduation boiling in a black robe (alright, that one a bit less), but I'm happy to see the darker evenings and feel the autumnal bite in the air. And now the trees are turning all shades of the rainbow, it won't be long before we're in the throes of autumnal weather.

Probably the top reason for this negative attitude, is the winter fashion - I, and I think many others, love winter fashion. While I claim to have no fashion qualifications or expertise as such - I own a pink leopard print onesie so judge as you will - I love clothes, and shopping, and feel relatively qualified to write a "winter wishlist" sort of article. So here goes.

A coat.
Yes, quite a basic one to start with, but you will not survive winter without a good coat. Whether you prefer a leather jacket, a trench coat or a furry creation (much warmer), winter is the time to splurge on a nice coat. They may be overly expensive, but what an investment they are. We get approximately one or two months of hot weather a year, right? Meaning that for the other 10, it's normally pretty cold. I would recommend ASOS or Oasis for coats - good quality and a great fit.

A snood.
I love snoods way more than scarves. They're far less hassle to put and keep where you want, just slip them over your head, they come to a flattering level and are warm. A simple snood will go with any outfit, and I've worn my burgundy one to death. Plus, for the autumnal-not-quite-winter weather, a snood and a cardigan mean you can put off wearing a coat for longer.

Brogues.
When the chill starts to hit the wear, wearing ballet pumps is no longer an option. If you aren't prepared to dig out your boots every day, brogues are a great alternative. They cover up the foot so you're a little warmer, but are still light. They go with everything, and brogues, tights and a skater dress is a flattering look on everyone. Normally I go for tan, but these year I picked up some cream ones from River Island, and I'm still lusting after the burgundy pair.

Gloves.
It might seem like it's a while before we need to start thinking about gloves and hats, but it will be here sooner than you think (despite this damned Indian summer). My choices would either go for a good quality pair of leather ones, or some massive, fur-lined mittens. Debenhams has some great ones this year.

There's plenty more items I could put on this list, such as a Le Pilage tote, an electric blanket, a satchel, the list goes on..., but these are some basics to get you in the autumnal frame of mind when you next go shopping. Now, I'm off to dig out my hot water bottle and onesie.

By Lauren Cope

0 comments :

Post a Comment