Can anything cure this London ennui?

Tuesday 13 May 2014
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisjohnbeckett/5538707668/

A study published today by YouGov has confirmed what we already knew: not everyone in the UK likes London. And honestly? *quiet whisper* I'm starting to agree. Ok, it's not breaking news that the northern section of the UK feels they get a raw deal compared to the capital. But whereas once I'd defend the city that's enchanted me ever since my first trip as a child, I've lost all interest in London and everything it has to offer.

To me, London was full of history, mystery and a little bit of adventure. I dreamed of living in a little flat on a quaint street above a classy bar, right in the centre of the action. Now? No way.

The problem is, it's just so blah. 'Oh, there's another yak-meat pop up stand,' 'Oh, another rooftop bar's opened,' 'Oh, yet another secret-underground-say-the-password-wee-in-a-toilet-shaped-like-lips prohibition bar.' Yawn.

Streets and buildings full of character and history are torn down to make way for buildings like the death-ray Walkie Talkie, or Crossrail (we miss you, Astoria). Once gritty urban areas like Shoreditch which were actually quirky, are now full of hipster hangouts, shops selling overpriced onesies and PENNY FARTHINGS EVERYWHERE. It's forced and it's so uninspiring.

I'm no longer enthused by London or anything in it. I feel like I've seen all I need to see. That's quite sad. And really hard to admit, especially considering I have a northern fiance who will no doubt print this off, and literally rub it in my face.

I can't deny it any longer. It's a beautiful place, full of memories. But it's too crowded. It's far too expensive. And it changes people. Where up north I'm mild-mannered and wouldn't hesitate at stopping for a quick chat with a random stranger, in London I have PLACES TO BE and THINGS TO DO so move out of my way you moron tourist and NO THAT BUTTON DOESN'T OPEN THE TRAIN DOORS YOU PRAT.

Can anyone help me get my love of this once amazing place back? Or should I cut my losses and look for fun further afield? Are their other cities that I should definitely visit in the UK, or is it time to get out the backpack and leave it all behind?

The first image, and loads more, can be found here.

0 comments :

Post a Comment