Would you go clubbing with your parents?

Friday 30 May 2014
They say music was better 'back in my day'. Although I was a little young for it at the time, the 90s were the pinnacle of rave weekends and house music. But with most clubbers of the decade now being parents (and in their forties) a new travel trend has started to emerge: Retro Ravers.

This year has seen a increase of older couples booking party weekends in clubbing hotspots such as Ibiza, Magaluf, and Ayia Napa, in an effort to recapture their youth and the glory days of good music and carefree partying. After all, a mortgage and children doesn't have to mean giving up clubbing.

Jason from Broadway Travel, who conducted the survey, says while the older generation are heading over to party islands, they're certainly not slumming it with most spending big on luxury hotels and the VIP experience. "Many of the top clubs charge over €60 just for entry with drinks costing upwards of €10 each which can be costly for youngsters but is more affordable for the older generation."

So that begs the question: would you go clubbing abroad with your parents?

Marie from South London says she would, and does, but never abroad.

"I don't see the problem," she says. "Half the time I'm there with my mates and half the time with my mum. It's just a little different each time, with friends it's all about who can pull the hottest guy and a girls' night out. With mum, it's purely about having fun, a dance, and a laugh."

When asked if it causes her any embarrassment, she said it doesn't but her friends have had a bit to say about it. "My friends couldn't imagine doing the same and think it's weird. But my mum is one of my closest friends. She's been there for me through a recent break up, through every problem and good time, so why wouldn't I want to have fun with her? I think we'd die if we were stuck with afternoon teas or coffee. I know it's a cliché, but she's young at heart."

So would Marie go on a clubbing holiday with her mum? "No chance! It's one thing clubbing in the city, but I'd never go to party with her abroad. It'd be a little too much like Sun, Sex and Suspicious parents!"




0 comments :

Post a Comment