The importance of Being Nice

Tuesday 4 February 2014

[insert handful of clichés about how being nice leads to a better life here] 

It's not a hard thing, you know, to be nice. It's as simple, really, as simply saying "thank you" or "you're welcome" or, "excuse me sir, I don't mean to harass you, but would you mind removing your umbrella from my shoe?" It's in the smile or wave as you acknowledge the cabbie or bus driver who's spared your life by allowing you to cross on the pedestrian crossing, even though they've been waiting for a few seconds aaaages.

That time that you - a twenty-something female - stood on the peak-hour commuter train so the soon-to-be-mother with her "mind the bump" badge could take your seat, and share with you that "I'm grateful to you but also embarrassed by The Men" glance that Us Women sometimes share; although it should be considered The Right Thing To Do, it was in fact considered nice by that woman. I think - according to The Men - it was considered to be a show of Equal Rights or some such bollocks, but that's besides the point. It was not expected of you, and therefore it was nice.

I've learned a bit about being nice recently. Mostly it was by accident, but that doesn't make it less important. See, I've been having a bit of a mare in my professional life which has sort of teetered over into my personal one. Mostly because the two are saaaah entwined. But, after being nice to a few people recently who - unbeknown to me - had the ability to help me change some of my woes, a few really amazing opportunities have now come my way. Which, is bloody nice (if you're me)(which I am).

I'm not naïve enough to think that if you smile at the right person you'll get that promotion you've been wanting, or miraculously win the lottery, or finally find that coveted pair of shoes - and in the sale no less! But I am of the firm belief that you Never Know what can happen if you just forget about what's in it for you. Behave in a way that makes you stand out from the crowd; because Lord knows the crowd are a miserable bag of misery, and have nothing good to look forward to.

By Erica, of www.imbeingerica.com

0 comments :

Post a Comment