St Pancras Spa - a cavernous, calm space in central London

Monday 11 March 2013
I'm all about convenience when it comes to pampering. I love having a massage, and as I write this I'm in dire need of a facial. But it has to be in an easily accessible location or chances are I'll never find the time to treat myself. So this is why the St Pancras Spa is great for Londoners and commuters alike. Located right next to King's Cross station (it's pretty much built onto the station) it's perfect if you've been working and need a relaxing few hours before your commute home.
 
The first time I came here I was reviewing the place for work. The second time it was all pleasure. This is all about the pleasure.

The spa is sat neatly in the basement of the refurbished St Pancras Renaissance Hotel. It's impossible to miss - a colossal Gothic building from the outside, a sympathetically restored hotel, bar and restaurant inside. The whole building is imposing with tall ceilings, wood panels and antique tiling.

The spa is a world away from the classic, dark hotel being fresh, white and clean. Moroccan lanterns and peacock fans adorn the waiting areas and treatment rooms. The staff seemed a bit cold and aloof which was a shame, but the great thing is they left me to get changed and enjoy the facilities in peace. Always a winner.

The changing rooms are huge, and the ladies room had a sauna in it so you can shower and sweat before even getting into the main spa. Of course, all the little finishing touches like eye pads and face flannels were there.

I chose a mini treatment both visits - I'm not one for spending an hour being rubbed and smoothed. I start feeling really uncomfortable and then m mouth goes dry and I can't swallow properly so I ask for water and hte whole thing is ruined and the therapist things she's rubbish at her job and runs off crying. Ok that might not have happened.

Anyway, the back, neck and shoulder massage lasts about 30 minute and is an affordable little pick-me-up. My therapist was fantastic and managed to loosen the knots in my neck. She knew I sat at a desk typing day in day out, so worked that area particularly well. A week later and my shoulders still felt loose and lithe. She was brilliant at tailoring the treatment to my needs too. No running off crying either.

After the treatment you sit in a calming relaxation area with your choice of tea. This is a great way to really get the best of the experience. Plus, it's not unusual to feel a little groggy after being relaxed to the point of snoozing. After about half an hour, I wandered into the main room - a huge cavernous, underground pool surrounded by steam rooms and saunas.

The steam rooms were a little dirty which ruined the experience a bit. I'm unsure if it's because I've visited quite late both time and the oils they use have run out or if it just needs a scrub, but I left those alone and spent most of my time floating in the Turkish Bath styled pool. There's something about being underground and seeing the shadows of people walking on the ceiling that's just so relaxing.

All in all, the convenience and setting makes the St Pancras Spa an ideal little treat after work. I'll have to actually book into the hotel next time so I don't have an hour-long commute back home.

0 comments :

Post a Comment