Here's how to... wear it like a '90s kid

Thursday 11 April 2013
I was born in 1984 so really, most of my growing up was done in the 90s while wearing neon cycling shorts, a matching top, jelly shoes (like these made by Juju) and a mood ring.

When I got a bit older, I would regularly pretend to be the complete opposite of the boyband fiend I actually was (and still am) and would swamp myself in the baggiest checked shirt I could find whilst pestering my mum for a pair of massive boots, or ‘clodhoppers’ as my dad would not so affectionately call them.

I’ve spent many a giggly evening reminiscing with family about the cringy clothing choices of my childhood; Ying Yang printed leggings and Global Hypercolor t shirts (you know the heat sensitive ones? You could make hand prints on them and everything! AMAZING.) I wore it all. 

Well, it looks like I was a trendy child after all because one of the biggest fashion trends of the moment is the 90s and although it does make me feel slightly older than I’d like to, it’s great to see the shops packed with clothing I have such fond memories of. It makes me wonder if this is how my Grandma feels when she watches Mad Men.

If you fancy wearing a bit of 90s but don’t necessarily want to look like one of the Byker Grove gang, the 90s trend can easily be incorporated to suit everyday wear in 2013.

Dungaree shorts are everywhere at the moment and are a perfect way to keep cool, and look cool, on warmer days. Team them up with a simple t shirt, or a 90s style crop top if you don’t mind bearing a bit of midriff.

Thought jelly shoes were only for the beach? You thought wrong my fashionista friend. Perfect for summer, they’re great for everyday and could be a real statement piece to go along with your usual fashion choices. Available in such a huge range of colours and styles, they’re a really simple way of jumping on the 90s trend train. [Keep your eyes peeled for a jelly shoes outfit coming soon! - Laura]

Another easy way to incorporate current trends into your wardrobe is by making use of accessories. Swap your wayfarers for a pair of round framed sunglasses, pick up an aforementioned mood ring and tie your hair up with a scrunchie. Yes, scrunchies are back too. And those little mini hair clips.

But what if you’re more of a grunger than a clean-cut girly type? STILL madly in love with Eddie Vedder (ahem, Laura). From distressed band t-shirts to checked shirts, beanie hats and Dr. Marten boots, if you look anywhere on the high street you’ll find them.  

By Gail.


So what do you reckon? Will you be wearing the current trend for 90s fashion this spring? What were your favourite fashion memories, and which ones firmly belong at the back of the closet? Let us know below or tweet us @sixoutoftenmag

0 comments :

Post a Comment