Malta: Where to stay to make the most of your holiday

Monday 24 June 2013
You may have already read my first feature on Malta and Gozo. If you haven't, then you definitely need to. Anyway, if you have, you may be wondering where to stay. Fortunately the Malta Tourism Authority gave me the chance to try out two five star hotels; one on the beautiful, peaceful get-away-from-it-all island of Gozo, to the north of Malta, and one on lively and loveable Malta itself. There was definitely a clear winner for me.

Kempinski Hotel's San Lawrenz
I loved this hotel. It is absolutely beautiful. Located on Gozo, it was built by a local family in a traditional style and is run by the Kempinski chain. You really cannot fault them on their impeccable standards and service. I was greeted with a tray of canapés and wine on ice in my room. I say room, you could fit a one bedroom London flat in the space. Twice over.

The standout feature of the Kempinski is the on-site spa. If indulging in a mixture of traditional and state-of-the-art treatments is top of your check-list, then there is no better place on either island. The craftsmanship is inspiring. Treatments are chosen on an a la carte basis, but the indoor pool, Jacuzzi and Hammam are free to use for all residents of the hotel. I didn’t have time to make the most of it, and I really wish I had done.

My favourite part of the Kempinski was breakfast. They have their own gardens and grow some of the produce used in the on site restaurants. The freshness of the fruit and the pastries were among the best I’ve ever had. The honey, produced by bees on Gozo, was the best I’ve ever eaten and it was truly special. There is a hot self-service buffet, a chef in the dining room, and an a la carte menu. Anything you desire, they will do for you. It's all about you.

So. If you're looking for the perfect place to get away from it all and relax in pure luxury, then the Kempinski is a fantastic choice. I’m in love with Gozo, I think its beautiful and a break from the 21st century in the best possible way. But even if that wasn’t the case, I’d go back just to be able to enjoy the facilities, the fabulous staff and the gorgeous environment. (And breakfast.)

Rooms in July start at £189 for two people sharing.

The Westin Dragonara

This hotel is slap bang in the centre of all the action. Located in St Julians on the island of Malta, it's moments away from the most popular nightlife. My room was an excellent size, with two double beds (I’m still trying to work out what I was expected to do with the second one) and balcony with a sea view. The furnishings were of a very high standard, but it feels like a hotel – quality, but clinical.

The public areas of the hotel are grand, with a chandelier over an imposing staircase. There was a wedding the evening we arrived, and the setting was truly lovely. Breakfast was pleasant, but I was disappointed to find honey imported from Germany - especially when the area is known for great local produce. There was no chef in the room, but all of the staff were very attentive.

I do have a couple of slight gripes with this hotel. First of all, they charge for wifi. This may be an idiosyncrasy of mine, but I feel very strongly that a 5* hotel should not be charging for internet access – this is pretty basic and should be included as standard. Secondly, the swimming pool and Jacuzzi area are very run down. When we went to try out the Jacuzzi, after a hard day of trekking and mountain biking, we found unpainted plaster and a cracked and slippery surround. It wasn’t just unsightly - it was a hazard. Again, if you market yourself as the best around, then these kind of issues aren’t acceptable in my opinion.

If you like a little grandeur in your home away from home, the Westin Dragonara is definitely worth checking out. It definitely feels like a chain hotel, and there are some improvements to be made, but that’s not to say I didn’t enjoy my stay very much. If I wanted to be in the area, in the middle of all the action, I would consider staying here again, but I probably wouldn’t come back purely to stay at this hotel.

Rooms in July are around £180 per night for two people sharing. They offer special packages such as 30% off if booked in advance, and free kids places.

0 comments :

Post a Comment