Live in the Midlands? Then you'd probably prefer a shopping bag to fun in the sack!

Friday 7 June 2013
Shocked? Then you need to read on. Because an Ultimate Shopper survey* taken by thousands of women all over the UK has revealed that one in three women of the Midlands prefer splashing their cash than indulging in sexy times with their special someone. Over half of women in London agree, with ladies in East Anglia being the least likely to put new shoes before their man. Lucky guys.

But that's not it. Oh no. When asked if they felt shopping was definitely better than sex, lasses in Northern Ireland were top of the polls with a whopping one in five saying a trip to the high street is way more satisfying than a night with their partner. Men of Ireland, you're seriously doing something wrong. Especially as a third of items bought on a shopping spree will languish in the back of the wardrobe, never to see the light of day again.

The survey also reveals how shopping is often front of mind - the average British female thinks about shopping six times a week compared with four times a week spent indulging in ‘sexy’ thoughts.

Andrea, 26, a trainee accountant from Wolverhampton, says she feels more satisfied in store than in the sack. And it's nothing to do with how her partner is in bed. "I love Charlie, my fiancé. We've been together for three years, so it's fair to say we've been through that whole 'honeymoon period' of not leaving the flat. But there's something exhilarating about shopping I just don't get from anything else. Especially in the sales!"

I asked Andrea if she could remember the best shopping trip she's ever had. "It would have to be the time I got a designer bag, while I was studying. I'd been saving for months, not going out and giving meals with friends a miss, because I knew once I had my hands on my new bag, it would all be worth it."

Andrea was dating Charlie at the time, but admits she did put him second. Often date nights would involve having to stay in and watch TV rather than go out as a couple. "It was tough at the time, especially as we were a new couple and Charlie is a night owl, so he loves being out partying. The thing is, going out is so expensive, especially when you're expected to buy a round or two. With such a large social group, a night out would really dent my purse. I'd be down about £100 at least!"

And how did she feel once she had her mitts on her prized possession? "I remember the day so clearly! It was my first proper expensive purchase, only ever buying bags from TK Maxx. I walked into the store, picked out the bag I had my eye on and went up to the till to pay. I felt on top of the world! It was a real treat, and something I'll always remember. Especially when friends saw it afterwards and were green with envy. But I'd worked hard for it, a lot of blood, sweat and tears had gone into saving for it."

So does Andrea think her love of shopping's had an impact on her relationship? "Well, I've got a ring on my finger haven't I? It's no different to me having a hobby, in fairness. Charlie has his football and has often put me on the back burner when a big match is on, so why shouldn't I do what I really enjoy? Sometimes it means Charlie has to wait, but then if he had a problem he wouldn't be marrying me!"

I asked Charlie what he thought of Andrea's admissions. Surprisingly, he took it well. "Andrea's a determined girl, so if she wants something, she'll get it. I'm a little surprised that she finds shopping more satisfying than being with me, though. I'll have to up my game!"

A few more stats:

  • On average, those in the West Midlands fight the most with their partner while shopping, as over two in five trips to the shops end in a row.
  • Couples in Northern Ireland shop together with the least drama, as fewer than a third of shopping trips end in an argument.
  • Ladies in London are least likely to chose their partner as their shopping buddy, with just one in ten dragging along their significant other.
  • Over half of women in Northern Ireland are most likely to shop solo. So long lads!

*The survey was specially commissioned by new TV entertainment channel TLC to mark the launch of Ultimate Shopper on 6th June. 2,000 women were surveyed.

0 comments :

Post a Comment