Malta: One for the beach bunnies

Friday 12 July 2013
For those of us who see holidays as a chance to kick back and recharge; cycling, climbing and water sports are not our first port of call post hotel check-in. But there is no denying that stretching out on the sand day after day gets old and doesn’t make the most of the adventures available in sunnier climes. On my three-day whistle stop tour of all that Malta has to offer, I was treated to quad bikes, boat tours, segways and horse riding.

Quad biking is a great way to see Gozo if you want an overview of the island. We went out for an hour, but take your time and stop off in all the picturesque places for as many impromptu photo shoots as you can handle. It’s not an off-road trip so don’t go expecting to have your adrenaline sky rocket. Equally, if you want to really enjoy your environment, sit behind as pillion as you can’t drive safely and take in the view!

To travel in between Gozo and Malta, we took a private boat tour via Comino – a tiny isle in the middle of the channel in between the two bigger islands. The sea is crystal clear, and if you go out in a smaller boat you can be taken through the caves and watch the divers, fish schools and jellyfish. It’s great fun, you’ll get the wind in your hair and a brilliant vantage point to take in the entire Maltese archipelago.

The cliff top Segway tour was hugely popular with everyone in our group, except me. I didn’t hate it, I just didn’t really get it. My balance isn’t the best, and while I coped fine with the experience, I can’t say I derived any pleasure from it. However, I had always wanted to try it and I’m very glad I did – if you’ve wanted to give it a go, then you should! I was definitely the exception, not the rule, but if you’re not massively fussed then don’t go out of your way.

Finally, we headed to Bidnija Village for a horse riding session. Now, with seventeen years of equestrian experience under my belt, I’m biased. I was always going to have fun. The horsey people among you will understand that there is never a bad moment spent amongst our four legged companions. If you’ve never been, you’ll be taken out with a leader on an experienced horse. The stables are next door to a shooting range, so these beauties are quite literally gun proof. If you’re a more experienced rider, then go with people who are at a similar level to you – otherwise you’ll enjoy yourself, but might be a little bored.

0 comments :

Post a Comment