Is it good to be bad these days?

Friday 26 July 2013
It's a question I've wondered a lot recently. Think about it, the media tends to love a drama and there are always stories about women being ‘bad’ these days.  Take Rihanna for example. In my opinion, she's an excellent singer and has great style. But all that seems to be shadowed by one thing: the attitude she has. Yes, she's talented and who doesn't love to party? But falling out of nightclubs, openly admitting and sharing images on Instagram (where many of her followers are in their early teens) she smokes spliffs and dating dangerously abusive men. But yet, for some unknown reason we still love and support her.

Don’t get me wrong, I hate judging people because really, no one knows what someone else is going through at any one point in their life. But I can’t help think the press celebrates when they do wrong.

Because of course, this leads to more coverage. Which gets people buying those papers and magazines. Which makes the celeb popular. And makes brands clamour to get them on board. In 2005, Kate Moss was papped using cocaine with Pete Doherty. It was undeniable, and she knew it. When she got found out, she gave no apology. Sure, she was dropped from one campaign, but gained several in return. Her contract was renewed at Rimmel London, she became the face of other brands, and even Sir Phillip Green offered her a clothing line at Topshop.

So if that’s the case, maybe we should all become addicts and we will get fame and fortune…right?

It’s not all women though. Take a look at Spencer Matthews or Mario Falcone, both cruel cheaters who had the most beautiful girlfriends (and fiancĂ©e may I add) but yet they played away. They denied it of course, and Spencer was filmed saying anyone would try and cover over when they'd done something wrong. When it got to the end, they then admitted all with a grin on their face, and to see a flock of another hundreds of girls pawing at them.

Maybe I come from a sheltered life, but since when has this been acceptable? I remember at the age of 12 a friend of mine's father had cheated on her mother and when her mother found out she threw him out of the house, cut all contact and the whole of the town shunned him. If that happened now, in 2013, he would probably get a pat on the back. Because it's just 'boys being boys'.

So what about me? In my previous job, my colleagues (who are a lot older than me) would always say 'Amy, you're too young to be staying in at home, go and live your life!' I felt like because I was being relatively tame I wasn't normal. I didn't need to smoke or drink heavily. I didn't need relationship drama or spats with friends. I wasn't fussed about meeting people in nightclubs. In fact, it got to me so much that I asked for advice off a trusted friend. She ended up giving me this advice which was passed on from Elle Magazine's editor: ’Don’t f***k it up! Go horse-riding, or jogging or start knitting. Just don’t start going to nightclubs for the sake of it, because it won’t end well. You got it all sussed. Don’t believe the hype - being normal is underrated.'

Since that passed down trusted advice I have continued as I am.

With the sad news of Corey Monteith dying from his addiction, which was nobody's fault but his own (even though it pains me to point that out) and with Tulisa ‘having a comeback’ from her addict ‘ordeal’ and being outed as allegedly sourcing Class A drugs, being 'bad' doesn't mean being exciting. So I'll still read about them, but I'll always be behind and support those celebrities who make the right decisions.

By Amy.

0 comments :

Post a Comment