Here's how to... survive the dreaded commute to work

Thursday 12 September 2013
For many, commuting has become a way of life. With house prices rising, we can no longer afford to be picky about where we work, or live. So this means looking further afield for affordable housing and spending more time than we'd care to on trains and trams, buses and bikes. For most, it's a nightmare.

I've recently had to adopt a four hour round trip commute and, so far, my feelings are mixed. I love the chance to catch up on work, listen to music and read (not to mention the endless cups of coffee and sausage rolls that can be savoured after a tough day in the office), and I do love the hustle and bustle. But it's fair to say the novelty is beginning to wear off. If you're in a similar position, here are some tips to help your commute speed by and reduce the rage that comes with annoying passengers, inevitable delays and price hikes.

Be prepared. There's no point thinking that you can have an enjoyable commute and also take a small handbag with you. The things you'll need will fill a massive bag - I recommend Longchamp's Le Pilage shopper in large, the sturdiest handbag of all time. Being prepared will mean you won't be stuck, bored, wet or angry. A basic list of things to pack in your commuting bag include: an umbrella, headphones, a book, a notebook and pen, a bottle of water, snacks, a small make up bag for touch ups, a hair brush, a diary (for spare time life organisation) and your purse. There are many, many other things you could include, but this should be okay to start with.

Think about the weather. It's hard to judge the weather when you're getting up at 6am; it's either dark or the sky is bright blue (why do those clouds come from?), and it's nearly always cold. Make sure to check a weather app the night before (or find a taxi driver and ask, they always know), so you can judge what to wear. If you've got an umbrella from the tip above, you'll be fine if it starts to rain, and packing some sort of jacket or cardigan will fend off the cold. When it comes to footwear, however, I wish you the best of luck.

Try and keep calm. When I'm in a normal day to day situation, I would like to think I'm generally quite a likeable, warm person. When, however, it comes to commuting, I dislike nearly everyone. People on the phone, schoolchildren talking overly loudly, even the conductor asking to check my ticket (how dare she?) are able to wind me up when I'm tired, rushed and crowded. Try and not be like me.

Download the National Rail app. This will be a life saver - it's quick, simple and available on all mobile platforms. Head to the App Store and get it now. It will let you know times, changes, platforms and, most importantly, delays. I frantically tried to make a train I was aware that I couldn't really make, almost gave up hope, checked the app, saw it had been twenty minutes delayed and made it. All's well that ends well.

Commuting, for lack of a better phrase, is a bitch. It's crowded, it's busy, and it's often a stressful environment - this is even before you consider cancellations and delays. Buckle down, get on with it and enjoy the money or experience you're getting. There are three things that are certain in life; death, taxes and commuting. Good luck.

0 comments :

Post a Comment