Horses for courses, but should they be made to race?

Wednesday 14 August 2013
With Hickstead hosting the Longines Royal International horse show recently, I’ve seen the usual debate over how horse riding is cruel has raised its ugly head again. Are you someone who's mumbled about horse racing being worse than cock fighting or bear dancing? That the horses are whipped into a frenzy with many never finishing the race? I understand that. But perhaps I can go some way in calming any fears you might have.

It is quite a difficult concept for those who do not have a horse to grasp and understand, but the riders and horses you see on TV have a relationship that cannot be compared to any other in this world. The rider trusts his horse with his life, every single time that he sits down in the saddle. And every time the horse allows his rider to place himself upon his back he is returning the same level of trust.

I want you to think of someone that you love with all of your heart, and now ask yourself would you ever put them in danger for entertainment? No, of course you wouldn’t! It would be unthinkable. And these riders ask themselves the same question. They love their horses and would never enter them into any competition they were not capable of competing within. In fact, they wouldn’t even put them forward if their animal did not enjoy what it did.

As a horse owner myself I can vouch for this being a fact. I can honestly tell you it does not matter how many artificial aids you use on a horse, if that animal does not want to do something, there is absolutely no way you are going to make it do it. They are stronger than we are, they have their own minds and they definitely know what they want.

From Shannon's blog My Beautiful Bay
The horses that race do so because they love to run, and the rider lets them because the thrill you get from the speed and enjoyment your horse has for it provides a huge adrenaline buzz. Horses that jump love to fly through the air. I can tell you now that if they didn’t want to jump the obstacle they will point blank refuse or run around it, because they can and it is easier to do so.

I’m sure there are some people out there reading this that watched the Grand National this year. I’m sure you saw some of the riders falling from their horses, yet the animal continued on in the race. And not just carrying on rider-free, but continued to jump alone without ‘force’ from anyone. They did so because they love their job

In all honesty I think it is a subject many people who have very little knowledge about decide to comment on. If you don’t like it, then it is quite simple; don’t watch it. My knowledge on other sports is very limited and so I therefore refrain from commenting on them, despite the fact there are many things I would like to say my piece about.

And overall, even if these facts don’t wash with you, just consider that those horses are quite literally worth millions of pounds. No rider or owner in their right mind would put forward an animal worth that much to race if it was a high possibility that they wouldn’t make it across the finish line.

By Shannon Clark

0 comments :

Post a Comment