Why having kids in your twenties is a bad idea. Seriously.

Thursday 29 August 2013
What would you say the perfect age to have children is? 21? 31? 41? Personally, I find it slightly worrying that women in their early twenties are having babies. The rise in 2013 alone of celebrities having children - Rochelle Humes, 24, has just given birth, Frankie Sandford, 24, is pregnant, and Peter Andre's missus Emily McDonagh, 24, is also expecting - worries me. Are they really ready for the responsibility of bringing up a child? Have they even grown up themselves?

I get it. You may choose to have a family now because in the future there might be difficulties conceiving or worries about getting pregnant. I can see why you wouldn't want to leave it too late. It could be your pregnancy was a happy accident, and you're making the best of the situation, even though ideally your plans were to wait until you were settled.

But if you've purely chosen to have a baby with a loving partner, I'm curious. want to know why. How it's affected you both. And whether you think you've matured enough to bear the responsibility of an impressionable little life.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on the matter, and I by no means am I condemning anyone, but I just don't get it. Your twenties are supposed to be carved out to work on ‘you’, a time to discover who you are, what you want to do in life, and to live out your good qualities and refine those bad traits. It’s a time to learn from your mistakes, to have fun with your friends, and to fall in love. So at which point does a baby come into it?

I know my opinion might not sit well with a lot of people. But I am just going to come straight out with it. If you're in your twenties and you have a child, you’re pretty much still a child yourself. I don’t mean in the sense that you act like you're five years of age. I mean you need to still nurture yourself, to work on ‘you’ before becoming the person you are meant to be. Because trust me, the person you think you are at 21 may not be who you are at 25.

Perhaps I have become too modern in my ways. With a mortgage, steady income and loving partner in my life, all the signs point to having children. Maybe a baby is what I am missing.  But then again, I think I still need to work on ‘me’.

By Amy.

0 comments :

Post a Comment