Totally addicted to blogs (wah-oh wah-oh)

Wednesday 8 January 2014
Peer pressure. For some, it was the gateway to smoking, drinking, and sex. It's something, as children, we're told to resist. If your friend jumped off a cliff, you wouldn't follow them, RIGHT? But what if ALL your friends were doing it?

Being in my late twenties, it's easy to think the days of your friends telling you to try it 'just this once' will subside, but honestly, it doesn't. 'Oh just put it on the card!' 'It's just one drink, don't be so boring!' 'Buy it, it's half price!' The pressure to keep up with the Joneses carries on. And what's really interesting is the part bloggers have to play in this.

After seeing a tweet of someone questioning a purchase because a blogger had written about it, we took a little informal survey last night and asked people whether they buy things based on blog posts. Almost all said they did.

One avid blog reader, who wished to remain anonymous and who we will call Lucy, has racked up a credit card bill of over £1000 through buying products bloggers rave about. She's 23, and says it's a never-ending quest to keep up with what's new and featured. Lucy simply doesn't care how much debt she gets herself in if it means keeping up with the trends.

"I'm not a blogger," she says, "but I'm addicted to blogs. I have about 400 I read every month, and I spend hours every evening catching up with hundreds of my favourite bloggers, leaving comments and bookmarking all their product reviews and OOTD."

"I don't think it's an obsession. I enjoy reading, and love shopping." Lucy's bought everything from a £200 blouse featured on one blog, to candles from charity shops. "My friends tell me I have such great style, and I have a lovely bedroom. I have bloggers to thank for their hard work. Hearing my friends comments makes me feel popular, and makes every minute worth it."

Lucy lives at home with her parents, and has so far managed to conceal her blogger buying habits from them. "They do wonder how I can afford so many deliveries on my sales assistant wage, but most of the time I say a friend's recommended it to me, and that seems to put them at ease."

Will her spending habits continue on in 2014? Lucy isn't sure. But hearing her mention taking out a payday
loan did set the alarm bells ringing.

So what advice would we give to bloggers?

Firstly, don't be too positive. Kellie, of Big Fashionista (who may have also discovered she can't resist buying lipsticks once she's read about them) says it's all about balance. "I love blogs which tell me what they don't like as often as what they do. Or temper their reviews with comments such as 'it didn't work for me, however it may work for you.' Balance is everything." Having said that, Kellie would never blame a blogger for a bad purchase. "What worked for their skin/hair/face may not work the same on mine. That's not down to them."

Secondly, be mega honest. While most bloggers will forgive a make up shade being wrong for their skin tone, they won't let lying slide. And when you have readers like Lucy, it's imperative you're not selling something that isn't as great as you say. Erica, of I'm Being Erica, says she's been stung by a bloggers not being totally honest about a pretty shoddy product. "It made me think that the blogger is either stupid, or spineless," she says. "Either way, if you're paid to write a review, at least make it an honest one. Those bloggers have never had my return page views."

Thirdly, don't bet on sponsored blog posts converting to sales - make sure brands know it's more about raising their profile than raking in cash monies. Of the 38 people who got in touch, 32 of them said they wouldn't trust a paid-for post at all. The remaining bunch said if the blogger had tried and tested whatever product they were selling and liked what was talked about, they might be persuaded into buying, but only after more research. Afra, who blogs at Mad Mum of 7 falls into the latter category. "If it just looks like a big ol' advert I’ll flick off after the first few paragraphs. But if it looks like the writer has an interest and actually genuinely seems to be recommending something I would look closer."

And what about buyers?

Charlie, writer of Gin Fuelled Bluestocking, admits she's influenced by bloggers and has bought everything from shampoo to jam. But she's never spent beyond her means. "Everything I've bought has been useful and there have been some really useful beauty products. I still consider things carefully, especially budget wise, so if it's a £100 face cream, I'll think about it long and hard before I buy it!"

What about you? Have you been influenced into buying something you'd never normally consider? Have you bought into a hype and been left with a bitter taste in your mouth? Share your stories on twitter or below!

0 comments :

Post a Comment