Boy-eauty: when male grooming becomes, well, a bit scary

Thursday 23 May 2013

Oh men, what happened to you? You used to be such lovely, rugged creatures. Your hair would stick up, your shoes were scuffed and you had a builder’s tan. You were all wide shoulders, stubble and clothes that could do with washing.

Now? Now, you’re all buying face moisturisers, having spray tans, shaping your eyebrows and wearing meggings. Yes, meggings. Leggings for men.

I jest. I have no qualm whatsoever with men who decide they fancy a bit of personal grooming; whether it be a light moisturiser to soothe their dry skin after shaving or full on waxing ‘down there’. AKA a Boyzillian, apparently. Why shouldn’t men look after, or enhance their body like women do? Why shouldn’t men relax, treating themselves to a lavender oil bubble bath and a chocolate scented face mask now and again?

The thing is, my boyfriend doesn’t do any of these things and maybe that’s why I’m so relaxed about it. The only skincare products, make up and hair removal tools in our house belong to me. My man doesn’t even shave but sports a rather impressive beard and other than his preference for Vosene shampoo and minty shower gel, he has no interest in beauty products whatsoever. He did once try one of those blackhead removing strips though. His opinion? “Weird but quite satisfying”.

I like how his lack of proper skincare routine and the fact he doesn’t really ‘do’ his hair on a morning reflects that vanity doesn’t hold much weight for him. He doesn’t care if I don’t shave my legs for a few days* (*weeks) during winter or have a huge spot. Whereas I wouldn’t have the confidence these days to approach new people without wearing make-up, he is confident enough to face the world without having to paint a mask on. I think that’s what we, stereotypically, have come to expect of men. We expect them to be self assured and assertive. We expect them to be confident and leave the body neuroses to us. I do anyway.

Whilst most women would say nothing about the tube of post-shaving moisturiser or the tub of hair wax sitting in the bathroom cabinet, they might draw the line at their partner wearing mascara and eyeliner. Or manscara and guyliner, if you’re fond of the odd portmanteau

Is it because wearing cosmetics and worrying about physical appearance is something we typically think of as being feminine attributes? Is it because the more a man is analytical of his own appearance, the more aware he may be of ours? If our man has regular facials, spray tans and pedicures but we don’t, where does that leave us?

With regards to boy’s beauty, is there a line that’s waiting to be crossed? A line, somewhere between clipping fingernails and having HD Brows? Where exactly is this line?

I’d love to know what you think.



Gail is a Yorkshire girl who moved to Ireland six years ago. She lives in Co. Cavan with her boyfriend and spends her free time writing, baking cakes and buying dresses. She loves anything vintage and quirky. Gail's a huge fan of Irregular Choice shoes and Morrissey. She considers Minnie Mouse, Ariel and Wonder Woman her style icons.

1 comments :

  1. I love this! My man sports a huge beard - which he only ever clips when I remind him, and his idea of grooming is washing his face in the morning and brushing his hair. But I like it that way. It means I am comfortable sitting around in old leggings, with unwashed hair and no make-up - which let's be honest, everyone does at some point!

    As for men in leggings. No.

    ReplyDelete