I could've bought two Chanel handbags with the amount I've spent on glossy magazines... but who cares?

Thursday 9 May 2013
"Look, I don't know how to say this, but the magazines need to go Amy. We can hardly move and they take up too much room. I'm being serious." The words rang loud and painfully in my ears. You see, I've been a fanatic magazine collector since I was 12. It all started when I bought my first ever Elle magazine in a car boot sale for 20p. Reading it was like I had found a long lost friend. And this friend liked to talk about beauty, fashion, and make-up. She had the same interests, ideas and views as me. She had answers to my problems. She understood.

From then on, I began to save my pocket money to buy my monthly Elle magazine at the newsagents. And I've purchased magazines ever since. I dread to think how much I've spent over the years. but I bet I could have purchased two or three Chanel handbags. Gulp.

My entire magazine collection has been stored in my bedroom in clear boxes for a while now. If they have beautiful covers, they'll take pride of place on the shelf. But since moving to a new house with my fiancé they've gradually taken over our space like an unwelcome guest which is how I got to this situation.

So, the time had come. Packing all of them away ready to be recycled was quite a sad process. I know this may sound a little extreme, but I honestly think that the magazines were part of my life. They had been there for me. They'd given me comfort and joy when I needed them.

Still, as much as the magazines helped me through my life, holding onto them was also a sign I was holding
onto my past. Picking up one magazine in particular would remind me of a cringeworthy time in my life where I wore that blue eyeshadow with pride when really it looked dreadful. Another reminds me of the shameful time I would go without food at school and work to buy a magazine. I'd rather spend that fiver on paper and ink than on nourishment.

So they have now sadly been recycled and are no longer tying me down to my past. The new deal between my fiancé and I is to spend £20 a month on four magazines. Yes, it's still a little expensive but it is a vast improvement over spending hundreds a month on magazines.

With this new agreement, the first chance I got saw me rush over to my local shop to buy my magazines. They didn't have them there (damm living in the country) so I walked a mile and a half (yes really) to Tesco to buy them.

But while walking back victorious magazines in hand I suddenly stopped and thought to myself 'have I gone too far? Walked this far to get magazines? Will I be in the same place this time next year with magazines cluttering my house?' Then I instantly dismissed these thoughts. Why? Well, most people spend huge amounts of money on alcohol or wild nights out, but my 'sin' is magazines. So sorry, fiancé, I will be starting a fresh collection now. But don't worry, it'll be a little less hoardey than before.

So. That's my confession. Do you have a magazine obsession to rival mine? Let me know!

1 comments :

  1. Anonymous10 May, 2013

    I really like this writing style.

    ReplyDelete