SaVse Smoothies: drinks as fresh as just-picked goodies from the garden

Thursday 16 May 2013
When I started my detox on Monday, the worst thing was going to be eating more fruit. Don't get me wrong, I love sweet things. I can easily polish off a pack of Dolly Mix without a second though. A punnet of strawberries though? Not a chance. Unless sprinkled with sugar of course.

But once you cut out snacks, wheat, and dairy from your daily life being restricted to (admittedly large) portions of fish and veg leaves you feeling famished. To the point where I was this close to boiling some rice just to have something to munch on before dinner (that's the evening meal, not lunch).

The only way I can tolerate fruit is in a juice. But most shop-bought options are crammed full of sugars, from concentrate or heat treated which means nutrients are lost. If I'm going to drink a fruit juice I want it to be fresh.

Of course, I could make it myself. But there's no way I'm going to shell out on a juicer and hundreds of pounds worth of fruit for the sake of a week-long detox. Not to mention trying to find the perfect combination of beetroot, carrot and broccoli without creating something likely to make me gag.

So. Fruit is a massive part of my detox. But I'm far too skint and lazy to deal with making my own. What's the solution?

SaVse Smoothies promised to help. It's Selfridge's fastest selling drink and sold out at Pod cafes when it launched there last week. So what is it? SaVse is a raw vegetable smoothie using ingredients like broccoli, kale, spinach and avocado - it's been created so we can incorporate 'super' veggies high in nutrients into our diet in a healthy, natural and convenient way. And because they're made through high pressure processing, the juices don't need to be heated so none of the valuable nutrients of the vegetables are lost.

So. More importantly, what did they taste like?

Super Green

Broccoli, pear, spinach, kale, kiwi, lemon and banana
This was the one I was dreading. It's exactly the colour you'd imagine if you were going to drink a broccoli and banana drink. It's not as thick as a smoothie, but I'm assuming the banana gives it some texture. It didn't smell awful, more 'green' if that makes sense. As for taste, it wasn't that bad. The boy wasn't keen but I think that was more because of the colour (and the fact I told him it was a banana broccoli smoothie) than anything else. I actually like it. The pear flavour was very strong, and it tasted fresh. Saying that, I wouldn't drink this if I wanted to be refreshed, more if I knew I was in for a long day and was going to be snacking on junk all day.


 

 

Super Purple

Beetroot, apple, avocado, lime, mango and lemon
This is more a juice than the green one. And it's hard to believe the colour, a very rich reddish purple, is natural! The beetroot not only gives it its name, but also the smell - it's very strong as soon as the lid comes off. Now, I'm really not a fan of beetroot. Any veg with the ability to stain a dress for evermore doesn't sit well with me. BUT I have to say, despite the strong smell, this is actually really refreshing. The mango, lemon and lime make it taste sweet and juicy, and it's not as thick as a smoothie, of which I'm no fan. Unbelievably, I'd drink this if I was out and about.

 

 

Super Red

Strawberry, broccoli, celery, kale, orange and spinach
It's thicker than a juice, but don't let the seemingly random combination of veggies throw you off. Rather than the usual strawberry/banana, strawberry/mango, strawberry/cream pairings, this actually works really well. The strawberries and orange keeps it sweet, while the broccoli and spinach gives it a refreshing taste. I did like it, and it was packed full of flavour, but it's general rule anything with strawberries in with be pitty. And this is no exception. Saying that, this did stop my belly rumbling. I'd definitely rather have a bottle of this than a rice cake.

Each juice is based on an ancient Georgian family recipe, passed from generation to generation. When founder Guka Tavberidze's mum Nina was pregnant with him in the 80s, she was diagnosed with an iron deficiency. Her doctor advised her to drink a blend of spinach and apple juice, which is what led her to perfect her family's secret recipes. Guka says: "SaVse has been created for people who are on diet or generally trying to lead a healthy lifestyle. We’re on a mission to make vegetables tastier and easier. Our smoothies are packed with everything from beetroot to broccoli and a little sweetness from some fruity friends. This is the tastiest way to get 2 of your 5 a day."

It certainly ticks my boxes. And at a reasonable £2.50 per bottle, it's a great way for me to get a mix of nutrients and vitamins. I would definitely recommend you give them a go. They're available in Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, Harrods, Fortnum & Mason, Wholefoods, Planet Organic, Pod Cafes, Partridges and other UK stockists.

What do you think? Are smoothies and juices a good way of staying healthy? Or are you a purist, preferring the actual fruit to pressed products? Let us know below or at @sixoutoftenmag


Laura is the editor of six out of ten. She has a background in journalism and PR, and loves nothing more than writing. Well. Maybe she loves Eddie Vedder a bit more (a lot more). She lives with her boy and her boycat in a house in Essex. Her favourite things are red lip stains (lipsticks never last), sweet cocktails and fresh, new notebooks.

0 comments :

Post a Comment